Who We Are:
For more than a century, Big Brothers Big Sisters has been helping change kids’ perspectives and giving them the opportunity to reach their potential.
Since 1904, Big Brothers Big Sisters has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is incredible potential. As the nation’s largest donor- and volunteer-supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 5 through young adulthood in communities across the country. We develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.
Summary of Opportunity:
The Digital Media Specialist is a direct report to and works closely with the Sr. Director of Digital Experience. They will provide and operate with full accountability for the daily management of the Big Brothers Big Sisters of America’s national website bbbs.org (and related domains) and owned social media platforms; develop digital content and support various organization campaigns. The Specialist should have a solid understanding of front-end website management, e-newsletter publishing, social media content publishing, and how to optimize digital content to improve engagement.
Location: Full-time Remote, U.S.
People Manager: No
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support WordPress front end development functions and manage associated plugins, including:
- Create and maintain engaging website experiences that align with BBBSA’s strategic goals.
- Own the creation and continual improvement of engaging landing pages
- Implement current web-based products through user experience testing, analytics, and other data-driven methods to measure effective communication to audience and ensuring effectiveness.
- Collaborate with the Sr. Director of Digital Experience on ideas to improve site functionality and user experience.
- Work to ensure that the website is optimized for Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Build and execute the BBBSA social media presence via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn through the development of campaigns and content for each outlet.
- In partnership with the Integrated Marketing team, support the development of social media toolkits for the local BBBS affiliates and corporate partners.
- Provide monthly market analysis of social media trends, competitor insights, and social media campaign briefings, supported by owned channel reporting.
- Identify new and emerging social media platforms that will enhance the organization’s efficacy in attracting new donors and volunteers or deepening the relationship with current stakeholders.
- Build rollout schedules and both general and project-specific social campaigns.
- Manage paid and organic social media marketing campaigns and day-to-day activities, including:
- Create, edit, reformat/repurpose and post content to social media platforms as needed
- Monitor, listen and respond to users to enhance social media engagement
- Work closely with all departments and producers to systematically gather content and content presentation ideas for social media
- Compile social media activity reports, as needed highlighting relevant trending topics, post popularity, re-tweets/shares, and new followers/likes
- Generate, edit, publish and share external email communication (two minimum e-newsletters) with direction from the Marketing and Communications teams.
- Compile content such as stories, blog articles, best practices, and other news items to for BBBSA’s internal and external audiences.
- Moderate all user-generated content updates on internal and external websites.
- Produce original digital video content, as needed.
- Production of virtual events; live and pre-recorded, as needed.
- Production of animated graphics, as needed.
Digital Reporting and Communications
- Develop reports that continuously improve and analyze website, email, and social media metrics to identify audience and traffic patterns that will inform strategies and tactics.
- Serve as a point of contact for BBBS agencies regarding all digital activities. This includes monitoring shared marketing and communications email inboxes.
- Partner with team members to develop and understand marketing and communications strategies that will meet department objectives.
- Conduct special projects on behalf of the department, involving gathering of information/data, summarizing of results, or participation in BBBSA project teams in order to improve or enhance processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates a commitment to cultural diversity and inclusion that reflects BBBSA’s commitment to JEDI (justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion).
- Champions internal and external culture of the organization focusing on being a JEDI-focused youth empowerment and equity organization.
- Provides consistent follow-up regarding assigned projects and after meetings.
- Manages related and other duties as assigned in support of department and business needs.
Education & Related Work Experience
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree or experience equivalency.
Years of Related Work Experience: 2-5 years related professional experience
Skills and Knowledge
- Experienced WordPress professional.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams including creative, technical, business affairs and marketing staff.
- Ability to review and modify database content and administrative interfaces/content management systems and analytics tools.
- Working knowledge of web development technologies and the opportunities they afford.
- Familiar with UX and UI best practices.
- Familiarity with SEO, analytics, metadata creation; eagerness to learn best practices.
- Familiarity with responsive design principles.
- Familiarity with accessibility principles and standards.
- Familiarity with issue tracking software, project management software and team collaboration software.
- Google Analytics familiarity a big plus.
- Creative thinker and problem solver.
- Experience with digital campaign creation, execution, and tracking.
- Fluent understanding of social media platforms paid and organic social strategy, and execution.
- Desire to try new social media approaches while minding our brand and style.
- Strong familiarity of social media tools for monitoring, management, and analytics such as Sprout Social, Meltwater and Hootsuite.
- Experience with integrating content from social channels across other digital platforms such as website, podcast, or webcast.
Digital Content Skills
- Experienced in editing and producing digital and multimedia content for social media platforms, mobile, and websites.
- Skilled in newsletter publishing and development software; Constant Contact a plus.
- Experience with digital video conversion software using Adobe Premiere or similar.
- Video file storage, sharing, and security best practices a big plus.
Digital Reporting and Communications Skills
- High degree of competence in data analysis, statistics, and reporting of key figures.
- Strong familiarity with metadata creation; eagerness to learn best practices.
- Familiar with data visualization methods (e.g., infographic and graph creation).
- Excellent organizational, strategic planning, presentation, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with tracking and analyzing online user/viewer behavior.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Practical problem-solving skills and well-developed analytical skills. Ability to analyze problems and provide effective strategies and solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment, and to perform duties in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Careful attention to detail with strong writing, editing, proofreading, research, and analytical skills.
At Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) is an integral part of our values and mission. We recognize, affirm, and celebrate the diverse backgrounds, lives, and experiences of all of our stakeholders, including youth, families, donors, volunteers, and staff. We ensure the opportunity for all voices and perspectives to be heard and honored. In the workplace, we foster an environment where all people can be their best selves. We affirm that every person [regardless of ability, age, cultural background, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ideology, income, national origin, race or sexual orientation, marital or veteran status] has the opportunity to reach their full potential. We strive to realize the full potential that is within all of us by ensuring that all voices and perspectives are heard and honored.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBSA provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, age, sex, familial or marital status, pregnancy, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Employee must be able to perform all essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSA may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of America is directly recruiting and hiring for this position. We are not engaging any staffing/recruitment firms or agencies for this position. If any candidate profile/resume/identifying information is sent to Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and/or Big Brothers Big Sisters agencies, we will not pay any referral or firm fees in relation to this information.